Friday, September 12, 2014

NFL Week 2 Picks

Well I got off to a strong start last week posting a 10-6 record against the number.  So if you bet just $100 on each of my plays then, you won over $400 including the teaser that hit.  Vegas in general had a good weekend with underdogs covering ten of the thirteen Sunday games.  Home underdogs went 2-1 with only Dallas crappin’ the bed.  Touchdown underdogs (I count it at 6.5 and up) were 3-2 against the spread and the only Double-Digit-Dog (DDD) Jacksonville went up 17-0 before failing to cover in the end.
            As you may know if you have read my gambling picks previously, I follow the trends in the LVH SuperContest very closely.  The SuperContest is where the majority of the best handicappers in the world compete for a seven-figure prize off of just a $1,500 buy-in.  They each pick any five games they want against the spread and the person with the best record at the end wins.  Last week, the top two overwhelming plays both failed to cover, as well as three of the top five.  They don’t release their selections until Sunday morning most of the time, but they are worth a look.  If there are a couple of overwhelmingly majority picked games, I would go against it.  Like the saying goes, the hotels in Vegas weren’t built on winners.
            I started off on the right foot again by taking Baltimore based on the short-week home team coming off of a loss over the short-week road team coming off of a win theory.  It is another trend to watch as the season goes.  Don't forget to check out my latest article for SKYLLZONE about hidden value in weekly drafts.

PANTHERS -2.5 over Lions
This almost follows the short-week win/loss theory, except the Panthers won last week.  The reason I still lean towards Carolina is since Cam Newton did not play last week (and I’m guessing he starts against Detroit) he will want to prove how invaluable he is to the team.   I have these two teams exactly equal on my power rankings, so the home team’s bonus on the line is enough for me to take Carolina.

BILLS +1 over Dolphins
This line has been a Mexican Jumping Bean going back and forth towards both teams being favored.  I will stick with the Bills as the slight home-underdog, especially with how high Miami is riding after beating the Patriots.  Buffalo feels good about themselves after winning in Chicago, but I think Miami feels a little more comfortable winning the division game against the division favorite.  Buffalo could be sneaky good.

REDSKINS -6 over Jaguars
On paper and in my own thoughts, I am not so sure that Jacksonville is the worse team of these two.  With that said, the line at almost a touchdown causes me to wonder why Vegas would want to push so hard for action on Jacksonville.  With almost two thirds of the public money coming in on the Jags, I am going to go contrarian and take Washington.  I could be completely wrong, and the NFC East just sucks, but the next two games will really help solve that issue….

TITANS -3 over Cowboys
No one is as big of a Romo defender as me, but that might have been his worst game yet last week.  The thing is, they were not the normal “Romo trying to make something happen on 3rd and long” interceptions.  He looked like he had not had enough practice (he hadn’t) and there was no zip on his throws: they were just fluttering up there.  I sincerely hope it was rust and not his back.  Either way, I’m taking Tennessee here out of sheer principle.

GIANTS +3.5 over Cardinals
This is the epitome of one team looking absolutely dreadful last week against another completely out performing expectations for a win over a solid contender.  If this game was last week then the Giants would have been a 4 point favorite by the consensus Vegas power rankings and being at home.  I don’t think Arizona is that good nor do I think the Giants are that bad, so I will take the touchdown’s worth of value.

VIKINGS +3.5 over Patriots
Everyone has heard the stat now about Belichick and Brady not losing back-to-back games.  They are also 10-1 against the spread off of a loss as a road favorite.  I also picked them to win the Super Bowl.  I still can’t take them here, especially with the public backing New England on well over 80% of the tickets.  All of the sharps and wiseguys agree with me on Minnesota, as they have bet the line down from 5 to 3.5 and it could go even lower.  The Vikings could pull of this upset and put themselves in the talk of being a true contender.  Or I’m an idiot of betting against Brady off of a loss.

BROWNS +7 over Saints
In no way do I think that Cleveland can win this game.  However, that is one gambling rule I have come around on, especially when it is a home underdog getting over a touchdown.  As we saw last week, Hoyer and Co. can come back on huge leads and their defense really is not that bad.  I think this line is just too high, and the public loves New Orleans way too much (over 90%!!).

BENGALS -5 over Falcons
After the Falcons’ impressive win last week, you would think these two teams would be a little closer.  But with Baltimore’s strong win last night, and Vegas keeping the line in between the two key numbers, they are still trying to force action on Atlanta. I can see it being a letdown game for the Falcons after the OT-thriller last week and feeling like they got the 1-1 out of the first two games that they needed.

Rams +7 over BUCCANEERS
Both of these teams looked pretty bad last week, but only one of them was starting a backup quarterback against a starting quarterback.  In fact, Tampa was starting its starter and against a backup in the opposite way.  The Rams will not be able to score a lot with anyone, but their defense is stout.  With the total set at 36, this figures to be a low-scoring game, which plays into St. Louis’ favor, especially getting a touchdown.

CHARGERS +6.5 over Seahawks
Another game of a home team coming off of a demoralizing loss against a road team coming off of a dominant win.  I’m definitely going to spend the juice to push the line to a full touchdown.  The Seahawks only won two games on the road last season by more than a touchdown.  In fact, against playoff teams last year on the road, Seattle went 1-2 with a 5 point win at Carolina.  They are just not as dominant of a team on the road, so I will take the touchdown-home-underdog.

RAIDERS +3 over Texans
Was there any doubt that I would take the clean sweep of six home-dogs?  This is yet another example of a home-dog coming off of a loss against a road team coming off of a win.  This theory will make or break my week, but I would not be shocked if the teams coming off of losses sweep the games against the number.  The Raiders went cross-country for a noon start and covered which is a hard thing to do.  Houston just beat the Redskins, which is not a hard thing to do.

Jets +10 over PACKERS
As a contrarian/underdog better, this is a very difficult one to roll with.  Even with a 4-ponit home field advantage to Green Bay, this still would only be a 9.5 point spread by my power rankings.  I just have to stick to DDD’s to get the overall value of betting on them.

Chiefs +13 over BRONCOS
Once again, I have to stick with the DDD’s.  I have a bad feeling about these last two.

Bears +7 over 49ERS
This one is a little trickier, since the team coming off of a loss is the road team, but the loss was so demoralizing that I think the trend still is in play.  San Francisco really didn’t play that well for winning a game by 11 points.  I mean the Cowboys gave them a defensive touchdown 2 plays into the game, had four turnovers that were basically all unforced, including one in the end zone, and it was still in doubt late.  I would not be shocked if the Bears win this game, but this whole pick comes with an asterisk that Marshall/Jeffery play.

Eagles +3 over COLTS
This would seem to fit the team coming off of a loss against a team coming off of a win, but Indianapolis played terribly in the first half last week and only looked good when Denver backed off.  Philly played as bad as it possibly good for an entire half, and still won by 17 points.  I think this is a complete toss-up, so I will take the field goal of value.

10-Point Teaser of the Week:
Broncos -3, Saints/Browns UNDER 59.5, Titans +7

Others I Like:
Bucs/Rams OVER 26, Bears +17, Packers PK, Chargers +16.5, Bills +11, Giants/Cardinals UNDER 54

Fantasy Sleepers of the Week: Jake Locker, QB, Tennessee and Jermaine Gresham, TE, Cincinnati
I was just going to take Locker against the terrible Cowboys’ defense, but Matthew Berry already went off about him.  Locker does have a solid string of games together now, and might be making a move toward a legit QB1.  Gresham will now be the sole TE target with Tyler Eifert out with a dislocated elbow.  I think the Bengals/Falcons will be a shootout and Gresham should get a touchdown.

This Week: 1-0
Last Week: 10-6

Season: 11-6

No comments:

Post a Comment