Friday, April 27, 2012

NBA Championship Odds


With the NBA playoffs starting tomorrow, I thought I’d revisit the Championship Odds of each of the remaining 16 playoff teams with the Vegas odds for them to win, and my own handicapped number. 



1.       Miami Heat, 46-20, East #2

Vegas odds: +200;  My odds: +300

Once again I was torn between the Heat and the Thunder, but I had to settle on the Heat more of what I will talk about in the Thunder’s section.  I hate them as much as the rest of the non-bandwagon joining community, but I can’t deny the mission that the Heat have been on.  The Mavs unleashed the sleeping beast last year and I think there’s no doubt that the Heat will get to the Finals should they get past the Knicks (which I’d put them at 1:5 that they will).  I’d have to raise the Vegas number strictly based on saying any team is a 2 to 1 favorite going into the playoffs is too high.



2.      Los Angeles Lakers, 41-25, West #3

Vegas odds: 1000;   My odds: +400

The addition of Ramon Sessions clears up their most glaring weakness, and Kobe is starting to revert to the 2008 Kobe that comes through in the clutch.  The intimidation factor that the World Peace elbow brought to the Thunder single handedly changed where I rank both teams.  Not only did World Peach put the seed of doubt that he could do anything at any moment on the court into the minds of Oklahoma City, but it helped the Lakers win the game and get the three seed, whereas they would have been the 6th if they lost.  The interior presence of Bynum and Gasol is too much for anyone they will play until San Antonio, and Kobe against the Spurs is a lock for a 38 ppg series.



3.      Oklahoma City Thunder, 47-19, West #2

Vegas odds: +275;   My odds: +425

Although they have the deeper team, with the better superstar  (of the moment) and better bench, I have to give way to the experience of the Lakers and the psychological state of the Thunder.  What was troubling most of all about that Lakers/Thunder game, was how much Russell Westbrook started dominating the ball in crunch time.  If someone doesn’t tell him that he has Kevin Durant on his team then this team could lose in the first round (so no one better fucking tell him, let him keep pounding the ball flat while Durant shoots nothing but disapproving looks at him rather than jumpers!!!).



4.      Indiana Pacers, 42-24, East #3

Vegas odds: +3000;  My odds: +600

As I said in my last rankings, I love this team.  They are the most balanced team in the league with eight guys averaging 9 points a game and all five starters in double figures.  Leandro Barbosa is playing like he used to for the Suns as the Microwave Scorer off the bench and Roy Hibbert is the best all-around center left in the East.  Most of all, and why I have them high, is their team rebounding.  If a team is going to upset the Heat, they will need phenomenal team rebounding to keep LeBron off of the offensive glass, and get second chance points against whatever pile of garbage is starting at center for the Heat that night.  The Pacers have seven guys with 3 or more rebounds, including their point guard, and four with 5 or more.  The length of George at the 2 and Granger at the 3 gives the Pacers a good a chance as anyone to beat the Heat.  Not to mention, they have the Howard-less Magic as the easiest first round opponent of any team.



5.      Memphis Grizzlies, 41-25, West #4

Vegas odds: +2000;  My odds: +650

I have to give the slight edge to the Pacers, even though I think Memphis would win in a 7-game series.  The teams have a similar theme of a balanced and deep attack, but the Grizzlies have a much tougher road to navigate to get to the finals.  With that said, I have them higher than San Antonio because they have the confidence to beat them in the second round.  I mean, last year they did it, and that was without their leading scorer.  I like their strength inside with Gasol/Randolph to help get them past the Clippers in the first round into the Spurs series.



6.      San Antonio Spurs, 50-16, West #1

Vegas odds: +350;  My odds: +700

I definitely sold short on the Spurs at mid-season, but I can’t under-rate the addition of Stephen Jackson, as well as the progress of their younger role players.  Tony Parker is having his best season yet, and Many Ginobli is turning it on at just the right time.  The Big Fundamental is plugging away like a robot.  If the Spurs can avoid the Grizzlies and Lakers, then I really like them to make it to the Finals.  As we saw last year, it’s all about making the series, and then it’s a coin flip. 

7.      Chicago Bulls, 50-16, East #1

Vegas odds: +275;  My odds:  +750

I’m just not sold on the Bulls.  Derrick Rose seems far from 100%, Richard Hamilton has shown flashes of the old Rip, but nothing sustained; Joakim Noah is just a douche.  I honestly would not be surprised by a first round knockout courtesy of the 76ers.  With that said, I can’t put them too low because Derrick Rose could start doing Derrick Rose-things and the Heat could get upset before the Bulls would have to play them.

8.      Dallas Mavericks, 36-30, West #7

Vegas odds: +3000;  My odds: +800

30-1? For the defending champions? Sign me up.  I am significantly lower on them than earlier in the season when I thought Lamar Kardashian still had his scrotum attached and not in Khloe’s purse, you can never count this team out.  Jason Kidd has had plenty of rest, as has Vince Carter who has shown a sudden resurgence.  Jason Terry is still killing fast breaks, but maybe his 3’s will magically fall more frequently in the playoffs like last year.  The center combination is still in the top half of the playoff teams, and there’s that Dirk Nowitzki guy.  Most of all, I like the draw that the Mavs have received.  Shawn Marion is the ultimate X-Factor, as he gives Durant trouble, and Westbrook still thinks he is the best player on his team as mentioned above.  I’m not saying they are the favorite to win the series, but I’d still give them a 2 to 1 chance.  The key is getting out of the first round, because if they do and build the confidence and momentum like last season, then all it takes is a lucky break or two and this team is back in the finals.



9.      New York Knicks, 36-30, East #7

Vegas odds: +2000;  My odds: +1000

This would have been much lower had Jeremy Lin been healthy and ready to go, as I have mentioned previously that the Knicks are better with either him or Carmelo playing, not both.  Melo is on a roll though as he charges toward assuring himself an Olympics roster spot, and they got who they wanted in the first round.  If you don’t recall, the last time the Heatles played Tyson Chandler in a series, it didn’t turn out so well at the rim for them.  If the Knicks can pull the upset, I like them to make it to the Finals.  However, I only would put them at 5:1 to pull the upset, then a coin flip in the finals, coming up with +1000.



10.  Los Angeles Clippers, 40-26, West #5

Vegas odds: +2000;  My odds: +1600

This is the point where the contender scale takes a dip.  This Clippers team is not ready for the spot light yet, and they are still a couple of pieces away from contending in the loaded West.  Not to mention, they got a bad matchup in the first round as Blake Griffin will have to try and play defense against Z-Bo.  Chris Paul will still average close to a triple-double but it won’t be enough.



11.  Boston Celtics, 39-27, East #4

Vegas odds: +1500;  My odds: +2000

Some might think that “Vegas knows something” if they have the Celtics as the 6th favorite to win it all.  Well I’m taking it as “Vegas knows that Boston people are biased and blind homers that will bet on their team if they think they have a chance.”  That’s what a 15 to 1 line on this aging and dysfunctional team means to me.  The odds-makers acted like the Games Makers in The Hunger Games by putting the odds at high enough to where Boston is a legitimate contender, but lower enough to where Bostonians think they are getting value.  I’ll Passsssss.

12.  Orlando Magic, 37-29, East #6

Vegas odds: 10000;  My odds: +5000

This is strictly a Bill Simmons’ “Patrick Ewing Theory” in which a team rallies behind its fallen superstar.  Now I do buy somewhat into the theory, just not as much in this scenario.  Those guys on the Magic despise Dwight Howard and all of his antics.  Why would they want to rally?  They might want to combine it with an “Eff You” run, so I’ll give them a little credit and not put them at the lowest spot.

13.  Atlanta Hawks, 40-26, East #5

Vegas odds: +6000  My odds: + 10000

14. Philadelphia 76ers, 35-31, East #8

Vegas odds:  +100000   My odds: + 10000

         15. Utah Jazz, 36-30, West #8

Vegas odds: + 100000   My odds: + 10000

         16. Denver Nuggets, 38-28, West #6

Vegas Odds:  +6000   My odds: + 10000

All four of these teams are young and not deep enough to truly make a run.  While I completely believe that Utah could upset San Antonio, I highly doubt that they could then beat Memphis/Clippers followed by whatever lays next in the West.  Utah and Philly do each have a good nucleus to build around.





With that said, I guess I’ll make some predictions:

First Round:

West:  San Antonio in 5; Dallas in 7; Lakers in 5; Memphis in 6

East: Chicago in 5; Miami in 6; Indiana in 5; Atlanta in 7

Second Round:

West: Memphis is 7; Lakers in 6

East: Chicago in 6; Miami in 7

Conference Finals:

West: Lakers in 5

East: Miami in 6

NBA Finals:

Miami in 7

No comments:

Post a Comment