Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Intro


There’s thousands of blogs about sports floating through the vastness that is the Internet.  Of all things considered, the one thing that almost every sports blog shares is a bias toward the author’s favorite teams/schools/etc.  Most try to claim objectivity, but once their alma mater or home town is involved an innocent bystander can immediately notice the sudden homeristic quality to the writing. 
Now I’m not trying to say that I can write about the Mavericks or Cowboys without showing my Romosexuality; I’m saying I want to write FOR my fellow Romosexuals and Dirk’s Homeboys.  Now most might be starting their set about how much “Romo sucks” (Just like I had to listen to ignorant bandwagoners say the same thing about Dirk just a few years ago, cut to Skip Bayless, Charles Barkeley and Stephen Jackson nodding) but that’s what I really want out of this: to start heated sports discussions with HSO’s (Hard Sports Opinions for those non P1’s).  As my former radio broadcasting partner Ethan knows, there’s nothing I love better than a good sports debate.  So if there’s something that you completely disagree with or want to add then please email me and get the discussion going.
Lastly, I know that I’m completely copying and ripping off Bill Simmons’ Grantland.  There’s no need to point that out to me.  How I see it, Grantland is a great idea because of the wide range of readers it appeals to.  However, there is still a heavy Boston bias (not to mention New York/LA, but that’s where the most readers are) that still disgusts me.  What really sent me over the edge was Simmons’ comparison of Dirk and Paul Pierce, which I’ll get into a little bit later.  So what I’m doing is creating the Grantland: Dallas, just as ESPN now has it’s regionally selected websites.  I’ll still write about other teams, games, players and especially the drafts, but there will be a focus on the Mavericks, Cowboys and Rangers (I might be done ever discussing college football after the atrocity that was last season, more to come later). 
So I hope you enjoy your reading, and if so please pass it on.  If you don’t, I’m new to writing so I’m open to any tips or suggestions.  Let’s not kid ourselves, I’ll probably end up even doing a Simmons’-style mailbag if enough people email me.  Now it’s time to start wasting my work time away, so hold on to your butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment